The book of Hebrews grants us a revelation of Jesus that is unique in the New Testament. Hebrews stands alone in declaring Jesus as our Great High Priest.
No other book in the New Testament accords Jesus with this title. The following verses give us a precise description of our Great High Priest.
Now there have been many of those priests, since death prevented them from continuing in office; but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.
Such a high priest meets our need - one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens. Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people.
He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself. For the law appoints as high priests men who are weak; but the oath, which came after the law, appointed the Son, who has been made perfect forever. Hebrews 7:23-28
Jesus has not only saved us completely, paying the full price for our sins, including the cost of full restoration, but He also lives to intercede for us. Intercession is the present day ministry of Jesus ? a topic to be explored more in future articles.
Furthermore, God spoke in ?portions? to the ?men and women? of old. None of them had the full picture (Hebrews 1:1-2 NASB).
To Noah God gave the promise of the covenant (Genesis 9), to Abraham, the promise of the nations (Genesis 12:1-3), to Jonah an illustration of the death and resurrection of Jesus and to Daniel an insight into the last days. Each only knew in part the overall plan of God.
Jesus is the full picture and revelation of God. His superiority should fill us with confidence. His has the power to meet all our needs. Jesus is the
1. Heir of all things ? Hebrews 1.2
2. Maker of all things [or ages, universe] Hebrews 1.2 & Colossians 1:6
3. Radiance of God?s glory ? Hebrews 1.3, John 9:5 [The out shining is a result of the brightness within. The same essence as the Father]
4. The exact representation of God ? Hebrews 1.3, John 14:9
5. The Sustainers (or upholder) of all things ? Hebrews 1.3, Col 1:17
6. Purifier of our sins Hebrews 1:3. Cleansed us once and for all. Source of our creation and new creation.
7. Sits at the right hand of God ? final authority. Angels are depicted as standing before God (Dan 7:10; Luke 1:19, Rev 8:2)
Jesus is indeed the fullness of God. We need look for no other revelation. We have the sum total of what all the men of old only had in part. We have Jesus.
Take another read of the book of Hebrews.
Watch this space as we bring you more articles on the book of Hebrews over the following months.